The lampshade is one of the hidden household items that users easily forget to clean in their daily routine and it gets dust. Lampshades are needed routine cleaning because the unsightly dust can make them ugly or unattractive. Knowing how to clean a lampshade is not that difficult.
Here you can easily learn how to clean a lampshade of every material, shape, and size and it also helps your lampshade to last longer by get rid of stains and keep it clean. Make sure to determine the material of your lampshade before start cleaning because different material requires different instructions.
How to Clean Various Types of Lampshades
- Paper and Parchment Lampshade
This type of lampshade needs special treatment or a different cleaning solution than fabric or plastic lampshade because they should not go underwater. It can be damaged in water. Make sure to follow all these steps to make the cleaning much easier.
- Turn off the lampshade, let it cool and remove the shade
- Use a vacuum cleaner or a microfiber cloth to remove the dust
- Wipe the lampshade or remove the stains from outside and inside, top to bottom with a crustless or dry white bread
- Make sure to be gentle while cleaning the shade and careful not to tear the lamp
- Fabric Lampshade
- After turning off and removing the lampshade
- Remove the dust particles use a soft brush or static duster
- Clean it clearly with a cloth to remove the stain, if it is still dirty place the lampshade in a bathtub filled with slightly warm water and some drops of mild laundry detergent or soap.
- Keep it in water for some time and remove stains with a wet sponge. Scrub the shade with a soft brush. After that dip the lampshade in clean water to remove the detergent.
- Now dry the lampshade with a towel or soft cloth to remove excess water or place it in front of a fan.
- Plastic or Glass Lampshade
It is one of the easiest types of the lampshade to clean because it does not need a specific tool or material and they are dishwasher safe. Plastic or glass material is not much delicate as paper or fabric.
- Unplugged the lamp, before removing the shade let cool it down
- Use a microfiber cloth to remove dust from inside and outside of the shade
- Wash it in a tub or sink of warm soapy water and if you want to remove grease from shade add white vinegar to it
- Rinse it well and let the lampshade dry completely.
Common Method to Clean the Lampshade
There are some common methods to clean lampshades in easy and simple ways.
- Turn off the lamp and remove the lampshade, make sure to cool it
- Slightly wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth
- For paper, material Remove the stain from the lampshade with a crustless white bread
- For fabric material place lamp shade in water and clean it from top to bottom then gently clean with a sponge to remove stains and dry it.
- Use the same method for plastic material but if the shade is greasy add white vinegar to the water.
Keep your Lampshade Cleaned
To keep your lampshade clean and to stay it for longer keep these tips in mind as
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or bleaching material
- Avoid using water for delicate materials like paper or silk
- Regular cleaning can help you to maintain your lampshade for a longer
- To remove debris and pet hairs run a lint roller over the lampshade